CAN-CISEC and CAN-CISEC-IT:
Who is a CAN-CISEC??
A Canadian Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CAN-CISEC), is an individual who has demonstrated his or her proficiency in observing, inspecting and reporting on the implementation of Sediment and Erosion Control (S&EC) Reports and Plans (e.g., ESC Report and Plans).
An applicant becoming a CAN-CISEC will have the following background:
- A comprehensive understanding about sediment and erosion processes and how the discharge of pollutants associated with construction activities may impact the environment.
- For the Canadian applicants, the ability to understand the Federal Legislation, including but not limited to the Fisheries Act, Canadian Environmental Protection Act, etc.
- Ability to read and understand construction site S&EC Reports and Plans. Prior environmental education and construction site field experience (e.g., inspections, Best Management Practices (BMPs) installation, etc.) involving S&EC and/or stormwater pollution prevention.
The ability to communicate orally and to develop written documentation. Applicant’s abilities, skills, experience and knowledge of S&EC and storm water pollution prevention will be assessed through testing as provided by the CAN-CISEC professional certification programs.
Applicants must have the following qualifications to take the CAN-CISEC examination:
- Two or more years of sediment and erosion control construction and/or storm water pollution prevention field experience,
- Prior classes, training and/or other education in sediment and erosion control or environmental related topics and
- Three references attesting to qualifications and experience.
Within 14 days after Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. receives a complete application (including material from three references), applicants will be informed by e-mail of their eligibility to sit for the certification examination.
To become a certified registrant, an applicant must pass their written examination with a grade of 75% or higher. Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. requires up to 45 days to grade and notify an applicant as to their results.
Who is a CAN-CISEC-IT??
Canadian CISEC In-Training (IT) Program
In order to foster the professional development of individuals having less than two years of construction site sediment and erosion control inspection experience or education to become a CAN-CISEC registrant, applicants can apply for the “In Training” (IT) program to gain a CAN-CISEC-IT designation.
A CAN-CISEC-IT registrant is an individual recognized by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. as working toward becoming a CAN-CISEC registrant. All CAN-CISEC-IT registrants are expected to work with other inspection professionals to gain “knowledge and field experience” associated with conducting sediment and erosion control and/or storm water management construction site inspection services.
Level 1 Registration:
To obtain a CAN-CISEC-IT registration status, applicants must complete the following:
- Submit the required registration form and IT, Level 1 examination fee. Information on how to submit this information can be found on the Training & Exams page.
- Attend the In-Person training modules.
- Pass with a score of 75% or better in the following parts of the CAN-CISEC -IT Certification Examination:
a. Canadian Federal requirements applicable to inspectors
b. BMPs and Pollutants
Those that pass the IT, Level 1 examination are granted a CAN-CISEC-IT designation. Registrants not passing the IT, Level 1 examination can retake the test up to two additional times within 12 months at a reduced fee.
Level 2 Application:
To petition for a CAN-CISEC registration status:
A CAN-CISEC-IT registrant has 4-years to gain the necessary inspection experience and education to submit a IT, Level 2 application. A IT, Level 2 application is a petition to Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. to change an applicant’s CAN-CISEC-IT designation to an official CAN-CISEC designation by completing the following:
- Submitting an application form that includes verifiable documentation of:
a. Two-years construction site field experience (e.g,, inspections, BMP installation, etc.) involving S&EC and/or stormwater pollution prevention inspections and
b. Prior classes, training and/or other education in sediment and erosion control or environmental related topics and
c. Three references attesting to qualifications and experience.
- Pay an IT, Level 2 non-refundable administrative application review fee.
- Upon approval by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc., sit for, and pass with a score of 75% or better, the following parts of the CAN-CISEC Certification Examination:
a. Assessing a ESC Report and Plan
b. Inspecting Construction Site BMPs (Photographs)
c. Inspector Duties
Upon passing the IT, Level 2 examination, an applicant is granted a CAN-CISEC designation. Applicants not passing the IT, Level 2 examination can retake the test two additional times within 12 months without having to resubmit an application and paying a reduced fee.
To maintain their designation status with Ecopliant Environmental, Inc., all CAN-CISEC registrants and CAN-CISEC-IT registrants are expected to pay an annual (and if applicable, late and reinstatement) fees (including any taxes if applicable), sign an annual contract and for CAN-CISECs submit 12 professional development hours/continuing development hours (PDH/CDHs).
Requirements for the Canadian Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. program are subject to changes by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc.