CISEC and CISEC-IT:
Who is a CISEC??
A Certified Inspector of Sediment and Erosion Control (CISEC), is an individual who has demonstrated his or her proficiency in observing, inspecting and reporting on the implementation of Sediment and Erosion Control (S&EC) Reports and Plans (e.g., ESC, SWPPPs, and SWMPs).
An applicant becoming a CISEC will have the following background:
- A comprehensive understanding about sediment and erosion processes and how the discharge of pollutants associated with construction activities may impact the environment.
- For the US applicants, the ability to meet EPA’s requirements for a qualified inspector and an understanding of federal regulations associated with the NPDES discharge permit. For Canadian’s, the ability to understand the Federal Regulations.
- Ability to read and understand construction site S&EC Reports and Plans. Prior environmental education and construction site field experience (e.g., inspections, Best Management Practices (BMPs) installation, etc.) involving S&EC and/or stormwater pollution prevention.
The ability to communicate orally and to develop written documentation. Applicant’s abilities, skills, experience and knowledge of S&EC and storm water pollution prevention will be assessed through testing as provided by the CISEC professional certification programs.
Applicants must have the following qualifications to take the CISEC examination:
- Two or more years of sediment and erosion control construction and/or storm water pollution prevention field experience,
- Prior classes, training and/or other education in sediment and erosion control or environmental related topics and
- Three references attesting to qualifications and experience.
Within 21 days after Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. receives a complete application packet (including material from three references), applicants will be informed by e-mail of their eligibility to sit for the certification examination.
To become a certified registrant, an applicant must pass their written examination with a grade of 75% or higher. Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. requires up to 35 days to grade and notify an applicant as to their results.
To maintain their designation status with Ecopliant Environmental, Inc., all CISEC registrants are expected to pay an annual (and if applicable, late and reinstatement) fees, submit 12 Professional Development Hours (PDHs), and sign an annual contract .
Who is a CISEC-IT??
CISEC In-Training (IT) Program
In order to foster the professional development of individuals having less than two years of construction site sediment and erosion control inspection experience or education to become a CISEC registrant, applicants can apply for the “In Training” (IT) program to gain a CISEC-IT designation.
A CISEC-IT registrant is an individual recognized by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. as working toward becoming a CISEC registrant. All CISEC-IT registrants are expected to work with other inspection professionals to gain “knowledge and field experience” associated with conducting sediment and erosion control and/or storm water management construction site inspection services.
Part 1 (Level 1) Registration:
To obtain a CISEC-IT registration status, applicants must complete the following:
- Submit the required registration form and IT Part 1 examination fee. These forms can be found as part of the Application Packet found on the United States Training and Examination Menu.
- Attend the In-Person training modules.
- Pass with a score of 75% or better in the following parts of the CISEC Certification Examination:
a. EPA requirements applicable to inspectors (US) or Canadian Federal Regulations (Canada)
b. BMPs and Pollutants
Those that pass the Part 1 examination are granted a CISEC-IT designation. Registrants not passing the Part 1 examination can retake the test up to two additional times within 12 months.
Part 2 (Level 2) Application:
To petition for a CISEC registration status:
A CISEC-IT registrant has 4-years to gain the necessary inspection experience and education to submit a Part 2 application. A Part 2 application is a petition to Ecopliant Environmental, Inc. to change an applicant’s CISEC-IT designation to an official CISEC designation by completing the following:
- Submitting an application form that includes verifiable documentation of:
a. Two-years construction site field experience (e.g,, inspections, BMP installation, etc.) involving S&EC and/or stormwater pollution prevention inspections and
b. Prior classes, training and/or other education in sediment and erosion control or environmental related topics and
c. Three references attesting to qualifications and experience.
- Pay a Part 2 non-refundable administrative application review fee.
- Upon approval by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc., sit for, and pass with a score of 75% or better, the following parts of the CISEC Certification Examination:
a. Assessing a S&EC Report and Plan
b. Inspecting Construction Site BMPs (Photographs)
c. Inspector Duties
Upon passing the Part 2 examination, an applicant is granted a CISEC designation. Applicants not passing the Part 2 examination can retake the test two additional times within 12 months without having to resubmit an application.
To maintain their designation status with Ecopliant Environmental, Inc., all CISEC-IT registrants are expected to pay an annual (and if applicable, late and reinstatement) fees and sign an annual contract .
Requirements for the CISEC-IT program are subject to changes by Ecopliant Environmental, Inc.